Senior Ecologist – Permanent role, location negotiable (Wollongong or Sydney)
Biosis is looking to appoint a Senior Ecologist to join our team in Wollongong or potentially Sydney. Working closely with a multi-disciplined team of highly regarded professionals, you will be expected to become an integral member of the ecology team, demonstrate leadership, and be a key contributor to various existing and future projects throughout NSW.
Biosis has undertaken many ecological and cultural heritage projects throughout eastern Australia and employs a highly experienced multi-disciplinary team that includes Botanists, Zoologists, Aquatic Ecologists, Archaeologists and GIS Operators. We have offices in Sydney, Wollongong, Ballarat, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Newcastle and Wangaratta.
With the pending legislative changes, 2017 will be an exciting time for ecological consulting in NSW. In Biosis you will have access to a team of experts in ecology and biodiversity legislation, with a strong collegial atmosphere. You will have great opportunities for learning and professional development, particularly with the introduction of the Biodiversity Conservation Act.
You can choose your preferred location (ideally Wollongong or potentially Sydney), with unique benefits to both. In Wollongong you would have all of the advantages of living in one of NSW’s premier regional centres; all of the services of a big city but with affordable housing, short commuting times and a relaxed lifestyle. Our Sydney office is located close to the CBD and is easily accessible by public transport. We are a short walk from Redfern or Green Square Train Station. This provides access to all the services of Sydney without the hassle of traffic and parking.
The Senior Ecologist is a project manager and experienced technical expert. You will play a key role in developing, leading and maintaining major client relationships; and managing large and complex projects. You will also contribute to project work through participation in project teams, project management, fieldwork, mentoring junior staff and client liaison.
To be considered for this role, candidates must satisfy the following key selection criteria:
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications with a strength in ecology
- A minimum of eight years ecological experience in either a consultancy or the public sector
- Advanced skills in interpreting biodiversity legislation for large or complex ecological assessment projects in NSW.
- Advanced skills in surveying and identifying threatened biota in NSW.
- Advanced skills in written and oral communication, including preparation of proposals and scientific reports.
- Experience in both leadership of, and participation in, multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Experience in managing project budgets in excess of $75,000.
- Experience in sales and establishing a client base.
- Experience in managing key client relationships.
- A current manual driver’s license.
Biosis offers the security of an established firm with support services in WHS and accounts, an experienced team in ecological assessment and a supportive work culture. We will provide the successful applicant with a competitive salary package consisting of base plus super, professional membership and conference allowance, relocation assistance if required, plus a wide range of employment benefits. As a permanent Biosis employee, you will also be rewarded with many of our added employee benefits, some of these benefits include:
- Employee reward and recognition program
- Flexible work arrangements
- Mentoring and training program
- Study assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sporting sponsorships
- Social activities
- Internal job opportunities throughout Australia
This permanent opportunity will allow you to continue to develop your advanced knowledge and expertise within the ecology field whilst developing a leadership role in the NSW ecology team.
For a confidential discussion regarding your interest in the position, please call Jane Raithby-Veall (Resource Group Manager, Sydney) on 0421 013 061.
How to apply:
Applications should be addressed to Rebecca Steer (Resource Group Manager, Wollongong) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following with your application:
- Your contact details (postal address and contact phone number).
- A current resume with at least two referees.
- A cover letter addressing the key selection criteria, with examples that clearly demonstrate your achievements in relation to each criterion (half to full page for each response).
Applications will close at 5pm on Monday 20 February 2017
Please note: Australian residents / work permits only.