Biosis is looking to appoint an Ecologist to join our team in Wollongong. Working closely with a multi-disciplined team of highly regarded professionals, you will be expected to become an integral member of the team in Wollongong and be a key contributor to various existing and future projects throughout NSW.
Biosis has undertaken many ecological and cultural heritage projects throughout eastern Australia and employs a highly experienced multi-disciplinary team that includes Botanists, Zoologists, Aquatic Ecologists, Archaeologists and GIS Operators. We have offices in Wollongong, Sydney, Ballarat, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Newcastle and Wangaratta.
With the pending legislative changes, 2017 will be an exciting time for ecological consulting in NSW. In Biosis you will have access to a team of experts in ecology and biodiversity legislation, with a strong collegial atmosphere. You will have great opportunities for learning and professional development, particularly with the introduction of the Biodiversity Conservation Act.
As part of the Wollongong office you will have all of the advantages of living in one of NSW’s premier regional centres; all of the services of a big city but with affordable housing, short commuting times and a relaxed lifestyle. You will have the opportunity to work in a range of natural environments with a diverse range of clients.
We are seeking an ecologist with technical field skills and experience in field zoology or botany, project management skills and capability of providing environmental advice and guidance to our clients. Your responsibilities will include participating in, conducting and managing projects, and the production of technical reports. Additional duties will include; survey design and implementation, proposal writing, project management, marketing and establishing a profile in the professional community as a zoologist.
To be considered for this role, candidates must satisfy the following key selection criteria:
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications with a strength in ecology
- A minimum of two years ecological experience in either a consultancy or the public sector
- An understanding of Commonwealth and NSW legislation with regard to ecology.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Experience in managing projects, with consulting projects viewed favourably. This includes project scoping, proposal writing, financial management and project resourcing.
- Experience with field survey design and implementation.
- Competency with computer programs and electronic field data collection technology. You will have experience in standard programs such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A current manual driver’s license.
Biosis offers the security of an established firm with support services in WHS and accounts, an experienced team in ecological assessment and a supportive work culture. We will provide the successful applicant with a competitive salary package consisting of base plus super, professional membership and conference allowance, plus a wide range of employment benefits. As a Biosis employee, you will also be rewarded with many of our added employee benefits, some of these benefits include:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Mentoring and training program
- Study assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sporting sponsorships
- Social activities
- Internal job opportunities throughout Australia.
This is a 12 month contract position with the potential to become permanent. This opportunity is best suited to an individual with a passion for ecology and looking to become part of an enthusiastic and vibrant team.
How to apply:
Applications should be addressed to Rebecca Steer (Resource Group Manager, Wollongong) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following with your application:
- Your contact details (postal address and contact phone number).
- A current resume with at least two referees.
- A cover letter addressing the key selection criteria, with examples that clearly demonstrate your achievements in relation to each criterion (half to full page for each response).
Applications will close at 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017
Please note: Australian residents / work permits only.